After much research and other tediousness, I found that despite the absence of any official podcasting support from wordpress.com, podcasting from here is entirely possible, and can even be quite yummy. Aside from creating the spleencast itself and the artwork for it, this is the short version of my geeky details of publishing a podcast on wordpress.com.
- I created Spleencast HQ with 2 appropriate categories (m4a and mp3)
- Fileden broke my m4a feed, so I purchased the wordpress.com space upgrade to host my audio
- I created podcast-friendly RSS feeds, one feed each for the site and each category
- I created 1 post for each category, each with the episode description and a direct link to the appropriate audio file
- Eventually after tweaking, fixing, checking and tweaking some more, my feed links tested successfully for the subscribey buttons, RSS reader and iTunes software, so I submitted the spleencast for inclusion in the iTunes Music Store podcast directory
- When the ITMS accepted it (yay) I shortened the link they gave me from
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=318009790 to http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=318009790
and associated it with the appropriate subscribey button
- When everything was in tippy toppy functionising order (or so I thought), I announced it.
- I found some strange code in the episode description, and this is how I fixed it:
- I went to Settings > Reading in my wordpress dashboard
- I unticked all the options in “For each article in an enhanced feed, show” (I don’t know if that helped, but I did it)
- “For each article in a feed, show” I changed to “Summary”
- For each of my spleencast feeds at feedburner.com, I scrolled down to the bottom of the “Troubleshootize” page and hit the “Resync Now” button
- I deleted and resubscribed to my spleencast, et voilà! Weird code was gone, yay!
(are they piling yet? are they? are they?)
I hope that was helpful. Happy listening. 🙂